They’ve rocked our 2017 and we need more! Featuring Geowulf, Casi, Hey Charlie, HAUX, Dave to name a few, they’ve earned their spot on our Ones To Watch…
Label: Chess Club Records
- They’ve had a mega year of gigs this year, from Slacker, to supporting The Wombats, supporting the likes of Inheaven and Sundara Karma, not to mention packing out a tent early in the day at Truck Festival.
- Whetherspoons has so far been an important part of their musical careers.
- They got inspiration for their name from Maoam Bloxx’s.
Must Listen: ‘Coke’ Samantha Daly
Label: Elephant Records
- 4-piece consisting of Ed, Emma, Glyn and Rich
- They’re going on tour with To Kill A King in January 2018
- November saw them complete (and absolutely smash) a UK headline tour.
Must Listen: ‘Getting Over You (By Dressing Up Like You)’ SD
Label: Heavenly Recordings
- Prepare for synchronised dance moves, lots of energy and minimal clothing at their gigs.
- They’ve just completed a tour hitting locations such as Russia, The Netherlands, U.K, France and of course Australia.
- They’ve only released a handful of singles, but be sure that they have a load more bangers to come.
Must Listen: ‘Boyfriend’ SD
Location: Originally Australia; Now between Berlin, London, Gothenburg
Label: 37 Adventures
- Their debut album Great Big Blue is set for release in February on the 16th.
- They’re one of the many bands to have been featured in Flying Vinyl’s monthly packages.
- A dream-pop duo, consisting of Star Kendrick and Toma Banjanin
Must Listen: ‘Drink Too Much’SD
Location: London / Leicester and Kent originally
- Their debut single ‘Call Me Out’ quickly gained them a lot of attention in the blogosphere.
- They’re going on tour with George Glew and Courtyards in February.
- They recently featured in our Christmas Cracker feature
Must Listen: ‘What For’ SD
Label: Ultra Records
- He’s off on tour in Spring with none other than Henry Jamieson
- He recently did a one off show complete with a string orchestra in London
- For more fun facts, read our Introducing feature with him here.
Must Listen: ‘Seaside’ SD
Label: Rough Trade Records
- One of the most talked about indie bands of the year.
- They had a bit of drama following a news article that claimed they said they were ‘rebuilding the London DIY scene’ – that’s not what they meant.
- They’re off on a headline tour in March.
- They so far only have a handful of singles released.
Must Listen: ‘Cracker Drool’ SD
- Formerly known as Get Inuit, they recently had to change their name to Indoor Pets following the public conversation started by Inuk throat singer Tanya Tagaq
- They’re off on a headline tour in February 2018.
- Despite clashing with The Libertines at Truck Festival they still managed to pack out the Barn.
- They recently took part in our Christmas Cracker feature. http://www.bornmusiconline.com/christmas-cracker-indoor-pets/
Must Listen: ‘Barbiturates’ SD
Label: King Dick
- This five-piece from Kent consists of Max, Archie, Jimmy, Patrick and Will
- They only have a handful of singles released at the moment.
- The Modern Strangers have had a successful year in the world of Sync, with features on the likes of Made In Chelsea and much more.
- Check out our introducing feature with them here.
Must Listen: ‘Coco Hello’ SD
Location: Oklahoma / Cardiff
FFO: Huon Kind, Anderson .Paak
- Sizzling pop meets sultry funk.
- Debut album in the works, no release date yet.
- No one knows exactly what a “Thunder Jackson” is.
- “Thunder Jackson is caped and crusading.”
Must Listen: ‘Guilty Party’ James Makin
FFO: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Kings of Leon
- Four-piece band-of-brothers.
- Rolling rhythm, chugging riffs and powerful vocals.
- New EP set for release on January 19th.
Must Listen: Deep Meadow JM
FFO: Bon Iver, The Notwist
Label: Krakow Records
- Berlin singer-songwriter.
- Philosophical, contemplative lyrics with light and beautiful melodies.
- “Handcrafted pop music”
Must Listen: ‘Older’ JM
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
FFO: Tom Joshua, Henri Bardot
- Singer-songwriter from Hertfordshire.
- Powerful vocals and acoustic melodies inspired by Bon Iver and Daughter.
- Debut EP My Omen is available now.
Must Listen: ‘Love You Save Me’ JM
Location: Lancashire, UK
FFO: Vaults, Fractures, Amber Run
Label: Island Records
- Electro-pop duo from Lancashire.
- Used to be in warring metal bands.
- Cathartic, poignant and beautiful electro-pop akin to London Grammar.
- Aquilo’s EP ii (side A) is available now, with side B in the works.
Must Listen: ‘Thin’, ‘Silhouette’ JM
Location: Streatham, London
FFO: AJ Tracey, Kano, Stormzy
- South London rapper / grime MC.
- Entered the grime scene at 16 years old.
- Socially aware, poignant wordplay and lyricism
- ‘Game Over’ EP available now.
Must Listen: ‘Question Time’ JM
FFO: Kano, P Money, Stormzy
- Leicester rapper / grime MC.
- Focus on wordplay and lyricism. Cold flows.
- Supports local producers and artists in the midlands.
- ‘Wavey Shirt Wednesday’ EP available now.
Must Listen: ‘Sour Grapes’, Road Rage freestyles on YouTube JM
FFO: Lotto Boyz, Not3s
- Afrobeats-infused R&B.
- Female vocalist with mad flow and love-story lyricism.
Must Listen: ‘Gas Station (Feat. Curtis J)’ JM
Location: Bingley, West Yorkshire
FFO: Mallory Knox, Don Broco, Arcane Roots
Label: Roadrunner Records
- Alt-rock five piece from West Yorkshire.
- Powerful vocals and crunchy riffs.
- Released first album in 2014.
- New album ‘Knowing What You Know’ set for release in 2018.
Must Listen: ‘Captivate You’, ‘Play’ JM
Location: Downings, Ireland
FFO: Astronaut Husband, Sam Pinkerton, Brooke Bentham
Label: Akira Records
- Originally from Hampshire, Carney moved to Ireland at 10 years old.
- She signed her first record label at the age of 16 and has earned an impressive following thanks to her dreamy vocals and chilled-out vibe.
Must Listen: ‘Winter’ Tobias Pugh
FFO: YONAKA, Anteros
- Formed in June 2016
- This all female grunge pop trio are each from different parts of Europe, though currently reside in London.
- The band name comes from the idea that everyone seems to know someone named Charlie.
Must Listen: ‘Hey’, ‘She Looks Like a Dreamer’ TP
FFO: TeenCanteen, Personal Best
Label: Alcopop! Records
- The trio formed in Chester in 2014 and released their debut EP No Fun on cassette tape in 2015, which lead to immense popularity and successful touring.
- The band don’t like to take themselves too seriously, describing their genre as ‘pea-pop’ and claiming to have the ‘best worst band name ever’.
Must Listen: ‘Oh George’ TP
FFO: Dominique, LAOISE
Label: Chess Club
- Originally from Bangor, Wales, singer-songwriter Casi Wyn is multi-talented as she also plays piano and synths.
- She earned ‘Best Song of 2013’ on Bethan Elfyn’s BBC Radio Wales show and has been active ever since, releasing two singles in 2017.
Must Listen: ‘Homesick’, ‘The Beast’ TP
Location: Maine, US / London
FFO: Girl Ray, Goat Girl
Label: Domino Records
- Currently consisting of 8 members, describing Superorganism as quirky would be an understatement.
- Their songs feature unusual sound effects (including biting into apples)
- Their website has a Windows 98 look with a game; this band are fun and full of surprises!
Must Listen: ‘Something For Your M.I.N.D.’ TP